My Dell is starting to fade at home. Yup - my trust Dimension 8400 from December of 2004 is showing signs of motherboard failure including lost disc drives that sporadically show up, inability to load and install basic programs, loudness, heat, everything. This is a sad, sad time for me. I hate losing computers. So now the great debate - do I stick with a PC since it is all I have ever known for 20 some years, or do I convert to the Mac-world? I am still in a IT job - but I am no longer doing the PC Tech thing. This means that I am not really keeping up with all of the new stuff that is coming out and when my computer starts acting wonky, it now takes me hours/days to fix it rather than minutes/a few hours. A lot of my friends (including L and K) are Mac people. They are like, "DO IT!!" haha.
It's very bizarre. I never hear people complaining about Macs the way we do about PC's - more specifically Microsoft. I have been a PC user my entire life and I cannot tell you how many hours (omg the hours) I have spent maintaining my machines. PC users complain consistently about the programs on the computers not working, not doing enough, resources being eaten alive, upgraded hardware, downgraded hardware, OS's changing every few months, updates crashing machines and browsers, Office not integrating with old versions, holy crap the list goes on and on.
Is it just me, or is this just not the case with a Mac? Is it because I am not in that world? Am I being left out of that conversation because I don't own one? Wow, that sounds super whiny - but I am being serious. I think the PC/Mac worlds are finally at a point where we aren't at each others throats all the time as far as program compatibility goes. Well, maybe Mac to PC, PC to Mac still seems to have some quirks. This then begs the question - Who is playing nicely and who isn't? Oy vey.
I am hoping my Dell can troop on for another Month or so, but I just don't know. We shall see.
No comments:
Post a Comment