Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Catch Up

I have been neglecting my blog lately... oops. Instead I have been posting on Gone Fishing to keep everyone updated on Pop and his progress and status. Things have been quite hectic, but positive, so not much to complain about. Isn't that nice? haha.

I threw my back out about 4 weeks ago, but thanks to a wonderful chiropractor, I am on the mend! This is what happens when you clean showers I suppose. Sigh. But at least the showers are sparkling!

I am working my butt off to finish this 2nd Masters degree. I have about 8 days to finish my current course. Thankfully I am just about there. I am creating a Blended course (part online, part in classroom) for the course and this is also the diving board into my final Capstone project. I have learned way more than I thought I have in the past 2 years! The culmination of information, readings, conversations, movies, everything is coming together at last. After this course, I have Capstone Planning and then Capstone. Theoretically I could be done with this degree in about 17 weeks. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Next Friday (just over a week away!) I fly to Ohio to see my family! My sister and brother-in-law have an 8am court date this Friday for the official adoption of my nephews "J" and "K." I could not be more excited or prouder for this day to finally come! I am so proud of my sister and her husband for all they have done and will do for these little boys. I know that their family will be incredibly happy and will do amazing things for each other! My sister created Adoption Announcements for the boys. These are very similar to birth announcements and as soon as I saw the e-proof (Jen wanted me to spell check it!) I just cried. It is amazing how it feels like the boys have always been a part of our family. In case you are curious, the announcements were created at PurpleStork. Jen did such a great job! I highly recommend this site to everyone.

As I was driving in to work this morning, drinking my coffee and listening to NPR, I started thinking about what the next year holds for my family. I started going through a checklist in my mind of what needs to happen when (not if) my father gets that call that a liver has been located and he can have his surgery. This means that when the call comes in, he has about 4 hours to stop eating and drinking anything and get to the Cleveland Clinic. I was thinking about what I will do on that day: buy the ticket to Ohio, call my boss, go to the airport ASAP. I should have enough vacation days and sick days to take off about 16 days before I would need to apply for FMLA time. The surgery is about 6-12 hours long, so in all practicality, by the time I get to Ohio and to the Cleveland Clinic he could very well already have a new liver. This is something I never dreamed I would have to plan for, but low and behold, here it is. I also decided that I need to add "Organ Donor" to my driver's license. Again, this is something that I never considered, but now seems like a no brainer. Sam has been an organ donor since he got his driver's license and reminds me all the time that if, God forbid something happens to him, I am to tell the hospital to donate everything. I used to laugh uncomfortably at this and the thought of it, but now, there is no more laughing. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Ok, time to get to work and get ready for my day here. Tonight is another Rockies game - here's hoping the rain holds out!!

Love and Hugs...
~Susi

No comments: